If you’re interested in the details of how to actually follow through, you should look at our article “How to get a Locksmith License in New York“
- Fingerprints required for background check, and pay $75 fee
Submit ONE of the following three combinations as proof of qualifications to be a locksmith:
- Two (2) Certificates Recommending an Applicant for a Locksmith License signed by New York City-licensed locksmiths
- Note: Becoming a locksmith apprentice in NYC is not required to become a locksmith, but it can help you receive the certificates of recommendation.
- A letter from Local Union No. 74 Service Employees International Union indicating successful completion of a locksmithing course at a school licensed by the New York State Education Department, and one (1) Certificate Recommending an Applicant for a Locksmith License OR;
- A certificate from a school licensed by the New York State Education Department indicating successful completion of a locksmithing course
- Locksmith apprentice license is available to work under supervision of licensed locksmiths – till maximum 36 months; after which a locksmith license is required.
Use of Lockpicks and Similar Tools
Legal to own unless the intended use was to gain illegal entry or for theft; or used on a lock for which you didn’t obtain permission. You could also be charged with possessing burglary tools if you are in possession of lockpicks while committing a crime.
Click here to find out: Are lockpicks legal in New York?
Note: We are not lawyers. Make sure you verify this with your lawyer.